- This sounds great! But how does this work for my business?
This is the number one question we receive. You may understand the cost savings (increased margins for your store) and rules, but what is often lost is the implementation. These are the simple steps to get going:
- Make sure you have a point of sale (POS) shipping system like PostalMate and ShipRite.
- Sign up for our coverage and make sure you understand all the coverage rules. They are in place to protect you, your customer, and the insurance company. They also are great risk management tools.
- Once you receive your Shipsurance coverage certificate, enter your policy number and email address that you have on file with us into your POS shipping system. We have simple tutorials available or we can set it up for you. Once you spend 5-10 minutes setting this up in your system, the integration is complete.
- YOU ARE DONE! Process transactions the way you did in the past and the systems will automatically insure your shipment with us (above the carrier's free coverage). Make sure to understand the way your POS system reports the shipments to us. Shipments need to be reported to be insured. Most of them reports electronically when you "Close the Day" or run "Carrier Pickups" in the system.
- If you need help remembering the coverage rules or training your staff, we are here to help. When you sign up we mail you a coverage poster that you can post in your store, a copy of our MPC Coverage Cheat Sheet, and a card to Velcro to your monitors.
- What is Shipping Insurance?
Shipping insurance is a variation of an ocean marine policy. Basically, it is insurance that covers the insured value of the package(s) you are shipping plus shipping cost (if declared) . If your package is lost, damaged, or stolen, shipping insurance will ensure that your package is covered.
- Who is Shipsurance Insurance Services?
Shipsurance is an private shipping insurance provider. We provide coverage for shipments sent via the major shipping carriers at a greatly reduced rate; often more than 90% off of the carrier rates. Our coverage is underwritten by Voyager Indemnity Insurance Company.
- What shipping carriers can I use?
Coverage is available for almost all shipping carriers. Some examples are: DHL, FedEx, UPS, USPS, Yellow, SAIA, North American, and most common carriers.
- What items can I insure?
Shipsurance offers coverage for almost any commodity with a few exclusions. If the item your are shipping is on our excluded list, please contact us. We may be able to cover it.
- Are there any packaging requirements?
All shipped goods must abide by the shipping carriers' packaging rules and be packed for small package or freight transit.
- How does the claims process work?
Click here for our claims procedures. All claims can be filed and tracked online. Want to know if a check had been issued? Just login to the Shipsurance Management Center website and check the status of your claim!
- If the shipping carrier denies my claim, do you deny it, too?
Our claims process is independent of the shipping carriers process. If the carrier offers free coverage, you should collect that coverage first, but our assessment is independent of the carrier response.
- How much paperwork in involved in insuring my shipments with a private insurer?
Since we are integrated with all major POS systems including PostalMate, ShipRite, Rate Pro, and others , there is NO EXTRA PAPERWORK to insure with Shipsurance. Simply follow the straight forward setup tutorial for each system and you will be insuring with us in no time!
If you do not use an automated POS system, we provide you with hand logs that you can use to tally your insured shipments.
What is the fee for using this service?
Shipsurance charges no set-up fee. MPC's will have a small monthly minimum premium requirement of $20.00. Simply pay the greater of the premiums for your insured shipment activity or the minimum premium amount.
Do you have any tips regarding your coverage to make it easier to understand?
We sure do! If you are looking for details about our MPC Specific Coverage that you can keep at your store as a quick reference, we have created a coverage Cheat Sheet, as well.
If you are looking for general pack and ship tips, visit https://www.proshippingtips.com/.
Link will open in a pop-up window